CNA (Nurse Aide Assistant) program will almost certainly prepare students for the New York State (NYS) Nursing Home Nurse Aide Competency (CNA) Examination in order to work as an entry-level nurse aide assistant on a healthcare team in various nursing homes/residential health care facilities and hospitals. This course therefore provides training in fundamental nursing skills and theory and is designed to meet the New York State Department of Health curriculum requirements while preparing the student for the NYS Nurse Aide Certification Examination. Even more, this Nurse Aide Assistant course includes both theory and hands-on clinical training in addition to an externship in a Residential Health Care Facility (RHCF). Our course curriculum is approved by the New York State Education Department (NYSED), by the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH). This course is an accredited program because it is approved by ACCET (Accrediting Council For Continuing Education & Training)
WHO SHOULD ATTEND CNA TRAINING?
First of all, this course is designed for those (men and women) seeking employment as Nurse Aide/Assistant (CNA), and is certainly recommended for all students considering nursing careers.
Students will need to complete a physical examination in order to be scheduled for an internship in a nursing home
In order to work in a nursing home and/or a hospital, a student must submit to a criminal background check and a criminal record may prevent a student from working as a Nurse Aide.
- You need to be at least 18 years old
- High School Diploma or Equivalent (GED, TASC)
- Physical Examination (please read for more details on our Admissions page )
If you do not have a High School Diploma or G.E.D, you can pass an Entrance Exam (exam is free of charge). You need to schedule this test during your appointment with our Admissions Advisor.
WHAT DOES A NURSE AIDE / ASSISTANT (CNA) DO?
- Provide physical support to assist patients with performing daily living activities
- Document or report observations of patient/resident behavior
- Measure and record food and liquid intake
- Provide infection control and change bedding
TOPICS COVERED IN CNA TRAINING
- Basics of Being a RHCF Nurse Aide/Assistant (25 hrs)
- Basic Nursing Skills (11 hrs)
- Personal Care Skills (41.5 hrs)
- Mental Health and Social Service Needs (2.5 hrs)
- Care of Residents with Special Needs (7 hrs)
- Basic Restorative Services (8 hrs)
- Supervised Clinical Experience (Externship at an RHCF) (30 hrs)
- CPR Certification Preparation
- All Study Materials
- Uniform & Supplies
- Preparation for CNA NYS Certification Exam
- Externship in a Nursing Home/RHCF
- CPR Training and preparation for CPR Certification
- Job Placement Assistance