This Patient Care Specialist program prepares a graduate to work as an entry-level nurse aide, patient care technician, dialysis technician in a clinic, hospital, nursing home or long-term care facility. Graduates will be able to check vital signs, CPR and First Aid, assist in medical examinations, performing electrocardiograms (EKGs), basic laboratory procedures, phlebotomy and operate a dialysis machine. This program is taught with a combination of lecture, practical exercises in the medical laboratory and with real-world experience during the 30 clinical hours externship portion of training conducted off-campus at a nursing home.
In addition, this course will prepare a graduate for LPN Entrance (Pre-LPN) exams (Basic Math & Science, Basic English Reading & Writing).
You will also be eligible to take exams to become a CNA Certified Nurse Assistant, NHA Certified Patient Care Technician (CPCT), NHA Certified Phlebotomy Technician (CPT), and NHA Certified EKG Technician (CET).
The course curriculum is approved by New York State Education Department, by Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training (ACCET) and by National Health Career Association (NHA).
Who should attend?
This course is designed for those (men and women) looking for employment as nurse aide, nurse assistant, and patient care technician and specially for students who are planning to continue education in LPN or RN programs.
Patient Care Specialist duties may include:
- Responding to patient calls and requests for assistance
- Bathing, dressing, grooming and assisting with personal hygiene
- Serving meals and feeding patients if they are unable to feed themselves
- Monitoring and recording vital signs – temperature, blood pressure, pulse, and respiration rates
- Observing, recording and reporting a patients’ physical, mental, and emotional condition
- Electrocardiograms (EKGs), collecting blood (phlebotomy) and other clinical tasks
- Moving patients, transferring patents to and from a bed or wheelchair and assisting with walking
- Making beds and keeping patient rooms clean and neat
- Setting up and operating therapeutic equipment and supplies
- Assisting doctors and nurses during examinations and treatments
- All Study Materials
- Uniform (2 Sets) & Supplies
- Preparation for Pre-LPN Test
- CNA Externship in a nursing home
- Preparation for the CNA NYS Certification Exams*
- Preparation for the NHA Certification Exams (Phlebotomy, EKG & PCT)*
- CPR Training and preparation for CPR Certification (Exam Fee is Included in tuition)
- JOB PLACEMENT ASSISTANCE
Note*: Exam Fee for certification exams is not included in tuition